Definition of 'mention'
- a remark that calls attention to something or someone; "she made frequent mention of her promotion"; "there was no mention of it"; "the speaker made several references to his wife"
- a short note recognizing a source of information or of a quoted passage; "the student's essay failed to list several important citations"; "the acknowledgments are usually printed at the front of a book"; "the article includes mention of similar clinical cases"
Synonyms: citation cite acknowledgment credit reference quotation
- an official recognition of merit; "although he didn't win the prize he did get special mention"
Synonyms: honorable mention
- make reference to; "His name was mentioned in connection with the invention"
Synonyms: advert bring up cite name refer
- make mention of; "She observed that his presentation took up too much time"; "They noted that it was a fine day to go sailing"
Synonyms: note observe remark
- commend; "he was cited for his outstanding achievements"