Definition of 'mother'
- a woman who has given birth to a child (also used as a term of address to your mother); "the mother of three children"
Synonyms: female parent
Antonyms: father male parent begetter father male parent begetter
- a stringy slimy substance consisting of yeast cells and bacteria; forms during fermentation and is added to cider or wine to produce vinegar
- a term of address for an elderly woman
- a term of address for a mother superior
- a condition that is the inspiration for an activity or situation; "necessity is the mother of invention"
- care for like a mother; "She fusses over her husband"
Synonyms: fuss overprotect
- make children; "Abraham begot Isaac"; "Men often father children but don't recognize them"
Synonyms: beget get engender father sire generate bring forth