Definition of 'neutralize'
- make politically neutral and thus inoffensive; "The treaty neutralized the small republic"
- make ineffective by counterbalancing the effect of; "Her optimism neutralizes his gloom"; "This action will negate the effect of my efforts"
Synonyms: neutralise nullify negate
- oppose and mitigate the effects of by contrary actions; "This will counteract the foolish actions of my colleagues"
Synonyms: counteract countervail counterbalance
- get rid of (someone who may be a threat) by killing; "The mafia liquidated the informer"; "the double agent was neutralized"
Synonyms: neutralise liquidate waste knock off do in
- make incapable of military action
- make chemically neutral; "She neutralized the solution"