Definition of 'nominal'
- a phrase that can function as the subject or object of a verb
Synonyms: noun phrase nominal phrase
- relating to or constituting or bearing or giving a name; "the Russian system of nominal brevity"; "a nominal lists of priests"; "taxable males as revealed by the nominal rolls"
- insignificantly small; a matter of form only (`tokenish' is informal); "the fee was nominal"; "a token gesture of resistance"; "a toknenish gesture"
Synonyms: token tokenish
- pertaining to a noun or to a word group that functions as a noun; "nominal phrase"; "noun phrase"
- being value in terms of specification on currency or stock certificates rather than purchasing power; "nominal or face value"
- named; bearing the name of a specific person; "nominative shares of stock"
- existing in name only; "the nominal (or titular) head of his party"