Definition of 'nose'
- the organ of smell and entrance to the respiratory tract; the prominent part of the face of man or other mammals; "he has a cold in the nose"
Synonyms: olfactory organ
- a front that resembles a human nose (especially the front of an aircraft); "the nose of the rocket heated up on reentry"
- the front or forward projection of a tool or weapon; "he ducked under the nose of the gun"
- a small distance; "my horse lost the race by a nose"
- a symbol of inquisitiveness; "keep your nose out of it"
- the sense of smell (especially in animals); "the hound has a good nose"
- a natural skill; "he has a nose for good deals"
- a projecting spout from which a fluid is discharged
- search or inquire in a meddlesome way; "This guy is always nosing around the office"
Synonyms: intrude horn in pry poke
- advance the forward part of with caution; "She nosed the car into the left lane"
- catch the scent of; get wind of; "The dog nosed out the drugs"
Synonyms: scent wind
- push or move with the nose
- rub noses
- defeat by a narrow margin