Definition of 'number'
You searched for numbered
- the property possessed by a sum or total or indefinite quantity of units or individuals; "he had a number of chores to do"; "the number of parameters is small"; "the figure was about a thousand"
- a concept of quantity derived from zero and units; "every number has a unique position in the sequence"
- a short theatrical performance that is part of a longer program; "he did his act three times every evening"; "she had a catchy little routine"; "it was one of the best numbers he ever did"
Synonyms: act routine turn bit
- a numeral or string of numerals that is used for identification; "she refused to give them her Social Security number"
Synonyms: identification number
- the number is used in calling a particular telephone; "he has an unlisted number"
Synonyms: phone number telephone number
- a symbol used to represent a number; "he learned to write the numerals before he went to school"
- one of a series published periodically; "she found an old issue of the magazine in her dentist's waiting room"
- a select company of people; "I hope to become one of their number before I die"
- the grammatical category for the forms of nouns and pronouns and verbs that are used depending on the number of entities involved (singular or dual or plural); "in English the subject and the verb must agree in number"
- an item of merchandise offered for sale; "she preferred the black nylon number"; "this sweater is an all-wool number"
- a clothing measurement; "a number 13 shoe"
- add up in number or quantity; "The bills amounted to $2,000"; "The bill came to $2,000"
Synonyms: total add up come amount
- give numbers to; "You should number the pages of the thesis"
- enumerate; "We must number the names of the great mathematicians"
- put into a group; "The academy counts several Nobel Prize winners among its members"
- determine the number or amount of; "Can you count the books on your shelf?"; "Count your change"
Synonyms: count enumerate numerate
- place a limit on the number of
Synonyms: keep down