Definition of 'observe'
- discover or determine the existence, presence, or fact of; "She detected high levels of lead in her drinking water"; "We found traces of lead in the paint"
Synonyms: detect find discover notice
- make mention of; "She observed that his presentation took up too much time"; "They noted that it was a fine day to go sailing"
Synonyms: note mention remark
- observe with care or pay close attention to; "Take note of this chemical reaction"
Synonyms: note take note
- watch attentively; "Please observe the reaction of these two chemicals"
- show respect towards; "honor your parents!"
Synonyms: respect honor honour abide by
- celebrate, as of holidays or rites; "Keep the commandments"; "celebrate Christmas"; "Observe Yom Kippur"
Synonyms: celebrate keep
- follow with the eyes or the mind; "Keep an eye on the baby, please!"; "The world is watching Sarajevo"; "She followed the men with the binoculars"
Synonyms: watch follow watch over keep an eye on
- observe correctly or closely; "The pianist kept time with the metronome"; "keep count"; "I cannot keep track of all my employees"
Synonyms: keep maintain
- conform one's action or practice to; "keep appointments"; "she never keeps her promises"; "We kept to the original conditions of the contract"
Antonyms: transgress offend infract violate go against breach break