Definition of 'office'
- place of business where professional or clerical duties are performed; "he rented an office in the new building"
Synonyms: business office
- an administrative unit of government; "the Central Intelligence Agency"; "the Census Bureau"; "Office of Management and Budget"; "Tennessee Valley Authority"
Synonyms: agency federal agency government agency bureau authority
- the actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group; "the function of a teacher"; "the government must do its part"; "play its role"
Synonyms: function part role
- (of a government or government official) holding an office means being in power; "being in office already gives a candidate a great advantage"; "during his first year in office"; "during his first year in power"; "the power of the president"
- professional or clerical workers in an office; "the whole office was late the morning of the blizzard"
Synonyms: office staff
- a religious rite or service prescribed by ecclesiastical authorities; "the offices of the mass"
- a job in an organization; "he occupied a post in the treasury"
Synonyms: position post berth spot billet place situation