Definition of 'offset'
- the time at which something is supposed to begin; "they got an early start"; "she knew from the get-go that he was the man for her"
Synonyms: beginning commencement first outset get-go start kickoff starting time showtime
Antonyms: middle end ending
- a compensating equivalent
- a horizontal branch from the base of plant that produces new plants from buds at its tips
Synonyms: stolon runner
- a natural consequence of development
Synonyms: outgrowth branch offshoot
- a plate makes an inked impression on a rubber-blanketed cylinder, which in turn transfers it to the paper
Synonyms: offset printing
- structure where a wall or building narrows abruptly
Synonyms: set-back setoff
- compensate for or counterbalance; "offset deposits and withdrawals"
- make up for; "His skills offset his opponent's superior strength"
Synonyms: cancel set off
- cause (printed matter) to transfer or smear onto another surface
- create an offset in; "offset a wall"
- produce by offset printing; "offset the conference proceedings"