Definition of 'only'
- being the only one; single and isolated from others; "the lone doctor in the entire county"; "a lonesome pine"; "an only child"; "the sole heir"; "the sole example"; "a solitary instance of cowardice"; "a solitary speck in the sky"
Synonyms: lone lonesome sole solitary
- exclusive of anyone or anything else; "she alone believed him"; "cannot live by bread alone"; "I'll have this car and this car only"
- and nothing more; "I was merely asking"; "it is simply a matter of time"; "just a scratch"; "he was only a child"; "hopes that last but a moment"
Synonyms: merely simply just but
- without any others being included or involved; "was entirely to blame"; "a school devoted entirely to the needs of problem children"; "he works for Mr. Smith exclusively"; "did it solely for money"; "the burden of proof rests on the prosecution alone"; "a privilege granted only to him"
Synonyms: entirely exclusively solely alone
- with nevertheless the final result; "He arrived only to find his wife dead"; "We won only to lose again in the next round"
- in the final outcome; "These news will only make you more upset"
- except that; "It was the same story; only this time she came out better"
- never except when; "call me only if your cold gets worse"
Synonyms: only if only when
- as recently as; "I spoke to him only an hour ago"