Definition of 'operative'
- a person secretly employed in espionage for a government
Synonyms: secret agent intelligence officer intelligence agent
- someone who can be employed as a detective to collect information
Synonyms: private detective PI private eye private investigator shamus sherlock
- being in force or having or exerting force; "operative regulations"; "the major tendencies operative in the American political system"
- of or relating to a surgical operation; "operative surgery"
- relating to or requiring or amenable to treatment by surgery especially as opposed to medicine; "a surgical appendix"; "a surgical procedure"; "operative dentistry"
- effective; producing a desired effect; "the operative word"
- (of e.g. a machine) performing or capable of performing; "in running (or working) order"; "a functional set of brakes"
Synonyms: running functional working