Definition of 'opposition'
- the action of opposing something that you disapprove or disagree with; "he encountered a general feeling of resistance from many citizens"; "despite opposition from the newspapers he went ahead"
- the relation between opposed entities
- the act of hostile groups opposing each other; "the government was not ready for a confrontation with the unions"; "the invaders encountered stiff opposition"
- a contestant that you are matched against
Synonyms: opponent opposite
- a body of people united in opposing something
- a direction opposite to another
- an armed adversary (especially a member of an opposing military force); "a soldier must be prepared to kill his enemies"
Synonyms: enemy foe foeman
- the major political party opposed to the party in office and prepared to replace it if elected; "Her Majesty's loyal opposition"