Definition of 'overhead'
- the expense of maintaining property (e.g., paying property taxes and utilities and insurance); it does not include depreciation or the cost of financing or income taxes
Synonyms: operating expense operating cost budget items
- (computer science) the processing time required by a device prior to the execution of a command
Synonyms: command processing overhead time command processing overhead command overhead
- (computer science) the disk space required for information that is not data but is used for location and timing
Synonyms: disk overhead
- a transparency for use with an overhead projector
- (nautical) the top surface of an enclosed space on a ship
- a hard return hitting the tennis ball above your head
- located or originating from above; "an overhead crossing"
Antonyms: surface subsurface
- above your head; in the sky; "planes were flying overhead"
- above the head; over the head; "bring the legs together overhead"