Definition of 'ply'
- one of the strands twisted together to make yarn or rope or thread; often used in combination; "three-ply cord"; "four-ply yarn"
- (usually in combinations) one of several layers of cloth or paper or wood as in plywood
- provide what is desired or needed, especially support, food or sustenance; "The hostess provided lunch for all the guests"
Synonyms: provide supply cater
- apply oneself diligently; "Ply one's trade"
- travel a route regularly; "Ships ply the waters near the coast"
- join together as by twisting, weaving, or molding; "ply fabric"
- wield vigorously; "ply an axe"
- use diligently; "ply your wits!"