Definition of 'portion'
- something determined in relation to something that includes it; "he wanted to feel a part of something bigger than himself"; "I read a portion of the manuscript"; "the smaller component is hard to reach"
Synonyms: part component part component
- something less than the whole of a human artifact; "the rear part of the house"; "glue the two parts together"
- the allotment of some amount by dividing something; "death gets more than its share of attention from theologians"
Synonyms: parcel share
- assets belonging to or due to or contributed by an individual person or group; "he wanted his share in cash"
Synonyms: share part percentage
- your overall circumstances or condition in life (including everything that happens to you); "whatever my fortune may be"; "deserved a better fate"; "has a happy lot"; "the luck of the Irish"; "a victim of circumstances"; "success that was her portion"
Synonyms: fortune destiny fate luck lot circumstances
- money or property brought by a woman to her husband at marriage
Synonyms: dowry dowery dower
- an individual quantity of food or drink taken as part of a meal; "the helpings were all small"; "his portion was larger than hers"; "there's enough for two servings each"
Synonyms: helping serving
- give out or allot; "We were assigned new uniforms"
Synonyms: assign allot