Definition of 'position'
- the particular portion of space occupied by something; "he put the lamp back in its place"
- a point occupied by troops for tactical reasons
Synonyms: military position
- a way of regarding situations or topics etc.; "consider what follows from the positivist view"
Synonyms: view perspective
- the arrangement of the body and its limbs; "he assumed an attitude of surrender"
Synonyms: posture attitude
- the relative position or standing of things or especially persons in a society; "he had the status of a minor"; "the novel attained the status of a classic"; "atheists do not enjoy a favorable position in American life"
- a job in an organization; "he occupied a post in the treasury"
Synonyms: post berth office spot billet place situation
- the spatial property of a place where or way in which something is situated; "the position of the hands on the clock"; "he specified the spatial relations of every piece of furniture on the stage"
Synonyms: spatial relation
- the appropriate or customary location; "the cars were in position"
- (in team sports) the role assigned to an individual player; "what position does he play?"
- the act of putting something in a certain place
Synonyms: placement location locating positioning emplacement
- a condition or position in which you find yourself; "the unpleasant situation (or position) of having to choose between two evils"; "found herself in a very fortunate situation"
- an item on a list or in a sequence; "in the second place"; "moved from third to fifth position"
- a rationalized mental attitude
Synonyms: stance posture
- an opinion that is held in opposition to another in an argument or dispute; "there are two sides to every question"
- the post or function properly or customarily occupied or served by another; "can you go in my stead?"; "took his place"; "in lieu of"
Synonyms: stead place lieu
- the act of positing; an assumption taken as a postulate or axiom
- cause to be in an appropriate place, state, or relation
- put into a certain place or abstract location; "Put your things here"; "Set the tray down"; "Set the dogs on the scent of the missing children"; "Place emphasis on a certain point"
Synonyms: put set place pose lay