Definition of 'power'
- possession of controlling influence; "the deterrent power of nuclear weapons"; "the power of his love saved her"; "his powerfulness was concealed by a gentle facade"
Antonyms: powerlessness impotence impotency powerlessness impotence impotency
- (physics) the rate of doing work; measured in watts (= joules/second)
- possession of the qualities (especially mental qualities) required to do something or get something done; "danger heightened his powers of discrimination"
- a state powerful enough to influence events throughout the world
Synonyms: world power major power great power superpower
- (of a government or government official) holding an office means being in power; "being in office already gives a candidate a great advantage"; "during his first year in office"; "during his first year in power"; "the power of the president"
- one possessing or exercising power or influence or authority; "the mysterious presence of an evil power"; "may the force be with you"; "the forces of evil"
- physical strength
Synonyms: might mightiness
- a mathematical notation indicating the number of times a quantity is multiplied by itself
Synonyms: exponent index
- a very wealthy or powerful businessman; "an oil baron"
Synonyms: baron big businessman business leader king magnate mogul top executive tycoon
- supply the force or power for the functioning of; "The gasoline powers the engines"