Definition of 'prevail'
- be larger in number, quantity, power, status or importance; "Money reigns supreme here"; "Hispanics predominate in this neighborhood"
Synonyms: predominate dominate rule reign
- be valid, applicable, or true; "This theory still holds"
Synonyms: hold obtain
- continue to exist; "These stories die hard"; "The legend of Elvis endures"
Synonyms: persist die hard run endure
- prove superior; "The champion prevailed, though it was a hard fight"
- use persuasion successfully; "He prevailed upon her to visit his parents"