Definition of 'principal'
- the original amount of a debt on which interest is calculated
- the educator who has executive authority for a school; "she sent unruly pupils to see the principal"
Synonyms: school principal head teacher head
- an actor who plays a principal role
Synonyms: star lead
- capital as contrasted with the income derived from it
Synonyms: corpus principal sum
- the major party to a financial transaction at a stock exchange; buys and sells for his own account
- most important element; "the chief aim of living"; "the main doors were of solid glass"; "the principal rivers of America"; "the principal example"; "policemen were primary targets"
Synonyms: chief main primary