Definition of 'prove'
- be shown or be found to be; "She proved to be right"; "The medicine turned out to save her life"; "She turned up HIV positive"
Synonyms: turn out turn up
- establish the validity of something, as by an example, explanation or experiment; "The experiment demonstrated the instability of the compound"; "The mathematician showed the validity of the conjecture"
Synonyms: demonstrate establish show shew
Antonyms: disprove confute
- provide evidence for; "The blood test showed that he was the father"; "Her behavior testified to her incompetence"
Synonyms: testify bear witness evidence show
- prove formally; demonstrate by a mathematical, formal proof
- put to the test, as for its quality, or give experimental use to; "This approach has been tried with good results"; "Test this recipe"
Synonyms: test try try out examine essay
- increase in volume; "the dough rose slowly in the warm room"
- cause to puff up with a leaven; "unleavened bread"
Synonyms: raise leaven
- take a trial impression of
- obtain probate of; "prove a will"