Definition of 'put'
- the option to sell a given stock (or stock index or commodity future) at a given price before a given date
Synonyms: put option
Antonyms: call option call
- put into a certain place or abstract location; "Put your things here"; "Set the tray down"; "Set the dogs on the scent of the missing children"; "Place emphasis on a certain point"
Synonyms: set place pose position lay
- cause to be in a certain state; cause to be in a certain relation; "That song put me in awful good humor"
- formulate in a particular style or language; "I wouldn't put it that way"; "She cast her request in very polite language"
Synonyms: frame redact cast couch
- attribute or give; "She put too much emphasis on her the last statement"; "He put all his efforts into this job"; "The teacher put an interesting twist to the interpretation of the story"
- make an investment; "Put money into bonds"
Synonyms: invest commit place
Antonyms: divest disinvest
- estimate; "We put the time of arrival at 8 P.M."
Synonyms: place set
- cause (someone) to undergo something; "He put her to the torture"
- adapt; "put these words to music"
- arrange thoughts, ideas, temporal events; "arrange my schedule"; "set up one's life"; "I put these memories with those of bygone times"
Synonyms: arrange set up order