Definition of 'race'
- any competition; "the race for the presidency"
- people who are believed to belong to the same genetic stock; "some biologists doubt that there are important genetic differences between races of human beings"
- a contest of speed; "the race is to the swift"
- the flow of air that is driven backwards by an aircraft propeller
Synonyms: slipstream airstream backwash wash
- (biology) a taxonomic group that is a division of a species; usually arises as a consequence of geographical isolation within a species
- a canal for a current of water
- step on it; "He rushed down the hall to receive his guests"; "The cars raced down the street"
Synonyms: rush hotfoot hasten hie speed pelt along rush along cannonball along bucket along belt along
Antonyms: linger dawdle
- compete in a race; "he is running the Marathon this year"; "let's race and see who gets there first"
- to work as fast as possible towards a goal, sometimes in competition with others; "We are racing to find a cure for AIDS"
- cause to move fast or to rush or race; "The psychologist raced the rats through a long maze"