Definition of 'range'
- an area in which something acts or operates or has power or control: "the range of a supersonic jet"; "the ambit of municipal legislation"; "within the compass of this article"; "within the scope of an investigation"; "outside the reach of the law"; "in the political orbit of a world power"
Synonyms: scope reach orbit compass ambit
- the limits within which something can be effective; "range of motion"; "he was beyond the reach of their fire"
- a large tract of grassy open land on which livestock can graze; "they used to drive the cattle across the open range every spring"; "he dreamed of a home on the range"
- a series of hills or mountains; "the valley was between two ranges of hills"; "the plains lay just beyond the mountain range"
Synonyms: mountain range range of mountains chain mountain chain chain of mountains
- a place for shooting (firing or driving) projectiles of various kinds; "the army maintains a missile range in the desert"; "any good golf club will have a range where you can practice"
- the limits of the values a function can take; "the range of this function is the interval from 0 to 1"
- a variety of different things or activities; "he answered a range of questions"; "he was impressed by the range and diversity of the collection"
- the limit of capability; "within the compass of education"
Synonyms: compass reach grasp
- a kitchen appliance used for cooking food; "dinner was already on the stove"
Synonyms: stove kitchen stove kitchen range cooking stove
- change or be different within limits; "Estimates for the losses in the earthquake range as high as $2 billion"; "Interest rates run from 5 to 10 percent"; "The instruments ranged from tuba to cymbals"; "My students range from very bright to dull"
- move about aimlessly or without any destination, often in search of food or employment; "The gypsies roamed the woods"; "roving vagabonds"; "the wandering Jew"; "The cattle roam across the prairie"; "the laborers drift from one town to the next"; "They rolled from town to town"
Synonyms: roll wander swan stray tramp roam cast ramble rove drift vagabond
- have a range; be capable of projecting over a certain distance, as of a gun; "This gun ranges over two miles"
- range or extend over; occupy a certain area; "The plants straddle the entire state"
- lay out orderly or logically in a line or as if in a line; "lay out the clothes"; "lay out the arguments"
Synonyms: array lay out set out
- feed as in a meadow or pasture; "the herd was grazing"
Synonyms: crop browse graze pasture
- let eat; "range the animals in the prairie"
- assign a rank or rating to; "how would you rank these students?"; "The restaurant is rated highly in the food guide"
Synonyms: rate rank order grade place