Definition of 'rate'
- amount of a charge or payment relative to some basis; "a 10-minute phone call at that rate would cost $5"
Synonyms: charge per unit
- a magnitude or frequency relative to a time unit; "they traveled at a rate of 55 miles per hour"; "the rate of change was faster than expected"
- the relative speed of progress or change; "he lived at a fast pace"; "he works at a great rate"; "the pace of events accelerated"
- a quantity or amount or measure considered as a proportion of another quantity or amount or measure; "the literacy rate"; "the retention rate"; "the dropout rate"
- assign a rank or rating to; "how would you rank these students?"; "The restaurant is rated highly in the food guide"
Synonyms: rank range order grade place
- be worthy of or have a certain rating; "This bond rates highly"
- estimate the value of; "How would you rate his chances to become President?"; "Gold was rated highly among the Romans"