Definition of 'reject'
- the person or thing that is rejected or set aside as inferior in quality
- refuse to accept or acknowledge; "I reject the idea of starting a war"; "The journal rejected the student's paper"
- refuse to accept; "He refused my offer of hospitality"
Synonyms: refuse pass up turn down decline
Antonyms: accept take have
- deem wrong or inappropriate; "I disapprove of her child rearing methods"
Antonyms: approve O.K. okay sanction
- reject with contempt; "She spurned his advances"
Synonyms: spurn freeze off scorn pooh-pooh disdain turn down
- resist immunologically the introduction of some foreign tissue or organ; "His body rejected the liver of the donor"
Synonyms: resist refuse
- refuse entrance or membership; "They turned away hundreds of fans"; "Black people were often rejected by country clubs"
Synonyms: turn down turn away refuse
Antonyms: admit allow in let in intromit
- dismiss from consideration or a contest; "John was ruled out as a possible suspect because he had a strong alibi"; "This possibility can be eliminated from our consideration"
Synonyms: rule out eliminate winnow out