Definition of 'resolve'
- the trait of being resolute; "his resoluteness carried him through the battle"; "it was his unshakeable resolution to finish the work"
Synonyms: resoluteness firmness firmness of purpose resolution
Antonyms: irresoluteness irresolution
- a formal expression by a meeting; agreed to by a vote
Synonyms: resolution declaration
- bring to an end; settle conclusively; "The case was decided"; "The judge decided the case in favor of the plaintiff"; "The father adjudicated when the sons were quarreling over their inheritance"
Synonyms: decide settle adjudicate
- reach a conclusion after a discussion or deliberation
- reach a decision; "he resolved never to drink again"
- understand the meaning of; "The question concerning the meaning of life cannot be answered"
- make clearly visible; "can this image be resolved?"
- find the solution; "solve an equation"; "solve for x"
- cause to go into a solution; "The recipe says that we should dissolve a cup of sugar in two cups of water"
Synonyms: dissolve break up