Definition of 'running'
See also: run
- (American football) a play in which a player attempts to carry the ball through or past the opposing team; "the defensive line braced to stop the run"; "the coach put great emphasis on running"
Synonyms: run running play running game
- the act of running; traveling on foot at a fast pace; "he broke into a run"; "his daily run keeps him fit"
- the state of being in operation; "the engine is running smoothly"
- the act of administering or being in charge of something; "he has responsibility for the running of two companies at the same time"
- the act of participating in an athletic competition involving running on a track
- moving quickly on foot; "heard running footsteps behind him"
- (of fluids) moving or issuing in a stream; "as mountain stream with freely running water"; "hovels without running water"
- continually repeated over a period of time; "a running joke among us"
- of advancing the ball by running; "the team's running plays worked better than its pass plays"
Antonyms: passing pass
- executed or initiated by running; "running plays worked better than pass plays"; "took a running jump"; "a running start"
- measured lengthwise; "cost of lumber per running foot"
- (of e.g. a machine) performing or capable of performing; "in running (or working) order"; "a functional set of brakes"
Synonyms: operative functional working