Definition of 'school'
- an educational institution; "the school was founded in 1900"
- a building where young people receive education; "the school was built in 1932"; "he walked to school every morning"
- the process of being formally educated at a school; "what will you do when you finish school?"
- an educational institution's faculty and students; "the school keeps parents informed"; "the whole school turned out for the game"
- the period of instruction in a school; the time period when schools is in session; "stay after school"; "he didn't miss a single day of school"; "when the school day was done we would walk home together"
Synonyms: schooltime school day
- a body of creative artists or writers or thinkers linked by a similar style or by similar teachers; "the Venetian school of painting"
- a large group of fish; "a school of small glittering fish swam by"
- educate in or as if in a school; "The children are schooled at great cost to their parents in private institutions"
- train to be discriminative in taste or judgment; "Cultivate your musical taste"; "Train your tastebuds"; "She is well schooled in poetry"
Synonyms: educate train cultivate civilize civilise
- swim in or form a large group of fish; "A cluster of schooling fish was attracted to the bait"