Definition of 'seed'
- a small hard fruit
- a mature fertilized plant ovule consisting of an embryo and its food source and having a protective coat or testa
- one of the outstanding players in a tournament
Synonyms: seeded player
- anything that provides inspiration for later work
Synonyms: source germ
- go to seed; shed seeds; "The dandelions went to seed"
- help (an enterprise) in its early stages of development by providing seed money
- bear seeds
- place (seeds) in or on the ground for future growth; "She sowed sunflower seeds"
Synonyms: sow sough
- distribute (players or teams) so that outstanding teams or players will not meet in the early rounds
- sprinkle with silver iodide particles to disperse and cause rain; "seed clouds"
- inoculate with microorganisms
- remove the seeds from; "seed grapes"