Definition of 'separate'
- a separately printed article that originally appeared in a larger publication
Synonyms: offprint reprint
- a garment that can be purchased separately and worn in combinations with other garments
- act as a barrier between; stand between; "The mountain range divides the two countries"
- force, take, or pull apart; "He separated the fighting children"; "Moses parted the Red Sea"
Synonyms: disunite divide part
- mark as different; "We distinguish several kinds of maple"
Synonyms: distinguish differentiate secern secernate severalize severalise tell tell apart
- separate into parts or portions; "divide the cake into three equal parts"; "The British carved up the Ottoman Empire after World War I"
Synonyms: divide split split up dissever carve up
Antonyms: unite unify
- come apart; "The two pieces that we had glued separated"
Synonyms: divide part
- divide into components or constituents; "Separate the wheat from the chaff"
- arrange or order by classes or categories; "How would you classify these pottery shards--are they prehistoric?"
Synonyms: classify class sort assort sort out
- become separated into pieces or fragments; "The figurine broke"; "The freshly baked loaf fell apart"
Synonyms: break split up fall apart come apart
- make a division or separation
- discontinue an association or relation; go different ways; "The business partners broke over a tax question"; "The couple separated after 25 years of marriage"; "My friend and I split up"
Synonyms: part split up split break break up
- go one's own way; move apart; "The friends separated after the party"
Synonyms: part split
- treat differently on the basis of sex or race
Synonyms: discriminate single out
- divide into two or more branches so as to form a fork; "The road forks"
Synonyms: branch ramify fork furcate
- independent; not united or joint; "a problem consisting of two separate issues"; "they went their separate ways"; "formed a separate church"
- standing apart; not attached to or supported by anything; "a freestanding bell tower"; "a house with a separate garage"
- not living together as man and wife; "decided to live apart"; "maintaining separate households"; "they are separated"
Synonyms: apart separated
- characteristic of or meant for a single person or thing; "an individual serving"; "single occupancy"; "a single bed"
Synonyms: individual single
- separated according to race, sex, class, or religion; "separate but equal"; "girls and boys in separate classes"
- have the connection undone; having become separate