Definition of 'service'
- work done by one person or group that benefits another; "budget separately for goods and services"
- a company or agency that performs a public service; subject to government regulation
- the act of public worship following prescribed rules; "the Sunday service"
Synonyms: religious service divine service
- an act of help or assistance; "he did them a service"
Antonyms: disservice ill service ill turn
- employment in or work for another; "he retired after 30 years of service"
- a force that is a branch of the armed forces
Synonyms: military service armed service
- the performance of duties by a waiter or servant; "that restaurant has excellent service"
- periodic maintenance on a car or machine; "it was time for an overhaul on the tractor"
Synonyms: overhaul inspection and repair
- tableware consisting of a complete set of articles (silver or dishware) for use at table
Synonyms: table service
- (sports) a stroke that puts the ball in play; "his powerful serves won the game"
- the act of delivering a writ or summons upon someone; "he accepted service of the subpoena"
Synonyms: serving service of process
- Canadian writer (born in England) who wrote about life in the Yukon Territory (1874-1958)
Synonyms: Robert William Service
- a means of serving; "of no avail"; "there's no help for it"
Synonyms: avail help
- the act of mating by male animals; "the bull was worth good money in servicing fees"
- (law) the acts performed by an English feudal tenant for the benefit of his lord which formed the consideration for the property granted to him
- be used by; as of a utility; "The sewage plant served the neighboring communities"; "The garage served to shelter his horses"
- make fit for use; "service my truck"; "the washing machine needs to be serviced"
- mate with; "male animals serve the females for breeding purposes"