Definition of 'shell'
- ammunition consisting of a cylindrical metal casing containing an explosive charge and a projectile; fired from a large gun
- the material that forms the hard outer covering of many animals
- hard outer covering or case of certain organisms such as arthropods and turtles
Synonyms: carapace cuticle shield
- the hard usually fibrous outer layer of some fruits especially nuts
- the exterior covering of a bird's egg
- a rigid covering that envelops an object; "the satellite is covered with a smooth shell of ice"
- a very light narrow racing boat
Synonyms: racing shell
- the housing or outer covering of something; "the clock has a walnut case"
Synonyms: case casing
- a metal sheathing of uniform thickness (such as the shield attached to an artillery piece to protect the gunners)
Synonyms: plate scale
- the hard largely calcareous covering of a mollusc
- use explosives on; "The enemy has been shelling us all day"
- fall out of the pod or husk; "The corn shelled"
- hit the pitches of hard and regularly; "He shelled the pitcher for eight runs in the first inning"
- look for and collect shells by the seashore
- come out better in a competition, race, or conflict; "Agassi beat Becker in the tennis championship"; "We beat the competition"; "Harvard defeated Yale in the last football game"
Synonyms: beat beat out crush trounce vanquish
- remove from its shell or outer covering; "shell the legumes"; "shell mussels"
- remove the husks from; "husk corn"