Definition of 'shift'
You searched for shifts
- an event in which something is displaced without rotation
- a qualitative change
Synonyms: transformation transmutation
- the time period during which you are at work
Synonyms: work shift duty period
- the act of changing one thing or position for another; "his switch on abortion cost him the election"
Synonyms: switch switching
- the act of moving from one place to another; "his constant shifting disrupted the class"
- (geology) a crack in the earth's crust resulting from the displacement of one side with respect to the other; "they built it right over a geological fault"; "he studied the faulting of the earth's crust"
Synonyms: fault faulting geological fault fracture break
- a crew of workers who work for a specific period of time
- the key on the typewriter keyboard that shifts from lower-case letters to upper-case letters
Synonyms: shift key
- a woman's sleeveless undergarment
Synonyms: chemise shimmy slip teddy
- a loose-fitting dress hanging straight from the shoulders without a waist
Synonyms: chemise sack
- make a shift in or exchange of; "First Joe led; then we switched"
Synonyms: switch change over
- change place or direction; "Shift one's position"
Synonyms: dislodge reposition
- move around; "transfer the packet from his trouser pockets to a pocket in his jacket"
- move very slightly; "He shifted in his seat"
Synonyms: stir budge agitate
- move from one setting or context to another; "shift the emphasis"; "shift one's attention"
- change in quality; "His tone shifted"
- move and exchange for another; "shift the date for our class reunion"
- move sideways or in an unsteady way; "The ship careened out of control"
Synonyms: careen wobble tilt
- move abruptly; "The ship suddenly lurched to the left"
Synonyms: lurch pitch
- use a shift key on a keyboard; "She could not shift so all her letters are written in lower case"
- change phonetically as part of a systematic historical change; "Grimm showed how the consonants shifted"
- change gears; "you have to shift when you go down a steep hill"
- lay aside, abandon, or leave for another; "switch to a different brand of beer"; "She switched psychiatrists"; "The car changed lanes"
Synonyms: switch change