Definition of 'shock'
You searched for shocks
- the feeling of distress and disbelief that you have when something bad happens accidentally; "his mother's death left him in a daze"; "he was numb with shock"
Synonyms: daze stupor
- the violent interaction of individuals or groups entering into combat; "the armies met in the shock of battle"
- a reflex response to the passage of electric current through the body; "subjects received a small electric shock when they made the wrong response"; "electricians get accustomed to occasional shocks"
Synonyms: electric shock electrical shock
- (pathology) bodily collapse or near collapse caused by inadequate oxygen delivery to the cells; characterized by reduced cardiac output and rapid heartbeat and circulatory insufficiency and pallor; "loss of blood is an important cause of shock"
- an instance of agitation of the earth's crust; "the first shock of the earthquake came shortly after noon while workers were at lunch"
Synonyms: seismic disturbance
- an unpleasant or disappointing surprise; "it came as a shock to learn that he was injured"
- a pile of sheaves of grain set on end in a field to dry; stalks of Indian corn set up in a field; "corn is bound in small sheaves and several sheaves are set up together in shocks"; "whole fields of wheat in shock"
- a bushy thick mass (especially hair); "he had an unruly shock of black hair"
- a mechanical damper; absorbs energy of sudden impulses; "the old car needed a new set of shocks"
Synonyms: shock absorber cushion
- surprise greatly; knock someone's socks off; "I was floored when I heard that I was promoted"
Synonyms: stun floor ball over blow out of the water take aback
- strike with disgust or revulsion; "The scandalous behavior of this married woman shocked her friends"
Synonyms: offend scandalize scandalise appal appall outrage
- strike with horror or terror; "The news of the bombing shocked her"
- collide violently
- collect or gather into shocks; "shock grain"
- subject to electrical shocks
- inflict a trauma upon
Synonyms: traumatize traumatise