Definition of 'shot'
You searched for shots
- an attempt to score in a game
- (sports) the act of swinging or striking at a ball with a club or racket or bat or cue or hand; "it took two strokes to get out of the bunker"; "a good shot require good balance and tempo"; "he left me an almost impossible shot"
- the act of firing a projectile; "his shooting was slow but accurate"
- a chance to do something; "he wanted a shot at the champion"
- the act of putting a liquid into the body by means of a syringe; "the nurse gave him a flu shot"
- a solid missile discharged from a firearm; "the shot buzzed past his ear"
- an informal photograph; usually made with a small hand-held camera; "my snapshots haven't been developed yet"; "he tried to get unposed shots of his friends"
Synonyms: snapshot snap
- a consecutive series of pictures that constitutes a unit of action in a film
- informal words for any attempt or effort; "he gave it his best shot"; "he took a stab at forecasting"
- an aggressive remark directed at a person like a missile and intended to have a telling effect; "his parting shot was `drop dead'"; "she threw shafts of sarcasm"; "she takes a dig at me every chance she gets"
Synonyms: shaft slam dig barb jibe gibe
- a blow hard enough to cause injury; "he is still recovering from a shot to his leg"; "I caught him with a solid shot to the chin"
- a small drink of liquor; "he poured a shot of whiskey"
- sports equipment consisting of a heavy metal ball used in the shot put; "he trained at putting the shot"
- a person who shoots (usually with respect to their ability to shoot); "he is a crack shot"; "a poor shooter"
- the launching of a missile or spacecraft to a specified destination
- an explosive charge used in blasting
- an estimate based on little or no information
Synonyms: guess guesswork guessing dead reckoning
- varying in color when seen in different lights or from different angles; "changeable taffeta"; "chatoyant (or shot) silk"; "a dragonfly hovered, vibrating and iridescent"
Synonyms: changeable chatoyant iridescent