Definition of 'shout'
- a loud utterance; often in protest or opposition; "the speaker was interrupted by loud cries from the rear of the audience"
Synonyms: cry outcry call yell vociferation
- utter in a loud voice; talk in a loud voice (usually denoting characteristic manner of speaking); "My grandmother is hard of hearing--you'll have to shout"
- utter a sudden loud cry; "she cried with pain when the doctor inserted the needle"; "I yelled to her from the window but she couldn't hear me"
Synonyms: shout out cry call yell scream holler hollo squall
- utter aloud; often with surprise, horror, or joy; "`I won!' he exclaimed"; "`Help!' she cried"; "`I'm here,' the mother shouted when she saw her child looking lost"
Synonyms: exclaim cry cry out outcry call out
- use foul or abusive language towards; "The actress abused the policeman who gave her a parking ticket"; "The angry mother shouted at the teacher"
Synonyms: abuse clapperclaw blackguard