Definition of 'show'
You searched for shown
- the act of publicly exhibiting or entertaining; "a remarkable show of skill"
- something intended to communicate a particular impression; "made a display of strength"; "a show of impatience"; "a good show of looking interested"
- a social event involving a public performance or entertainment; "they wanted to see some of the shows on Broadway"
- pretending that something is the case in order to make a good impression; "they try to keep up appearances"; "that ceremony is just for show"
- show or demonstrate something to an interested audience; "She shows her dogs frequently"; "We will demo the new software in Washington"
Synonyms: demo exhibit present demonstrate
- establish the validity of something, as by an example, explanation or experiment; "The experiment demonstrated the instability of the compound"; "The mathematician showed the validity of the conjecture"
Synonyms: prove demonstrate establish shew
Antonyms: disprove confute
- provide evidence for; "The blood test showed that he was the father"; "Her behavior testified to her incompetence"
Synonyms: testify bear witness prove evidence
- make visible or noticeable; "She showed her talent for cooking"; "Show me your etchings, please"
Antonyms: hide conceal
- show in, or as in, a picture; "This scene depicts country life"; "the face of the child is rendered with much tenderness in this painting"
Synonyms: picture depict render
- give expression to; "She showed her disappointment"
Synonyms: express evince
- indicate a place, direction, person, or thing; either spatially or figuratively; "I showed the customer the glove section"; "He pointed to the empty parking space"; "he indicated his opponents"
Synonyms: indicate point
- make clear and visible; "The article revealed the policies of the government"
Synonyms: reveal display
- be or become visible or noticeable; "His good upbringing really shows"; "The dirty side will show"
Synonyms: show up
- indicate a certain reading; of gauges and instruments; "The thermometer showed thirteen degrees below zero"; "The gauge read `empty'"
Synonyms: read register record
- give evidence of, as of records; "The diary shows his distress that evening"
- show (someone) to their seats, as in theaters or auditoriums; "The usher showed us to our seats"
- finish third or better in a horse or dog race; "he bet $2 on number six to show"