Definition of 'sidelong'
- (used especially of glances) directed to one side with or as if with doubt or suspicion or envy; "her eyes with their misted askance look"- Elizabeth Bowen; "sidelong glances"
Synonyms: askance askant asquint squint squint-eyed squinty
- situated at or extending to the side; "the lateral branches of a tree"; "shot out sidelong boughs"- Tennyson
- inclining or directed to one side; "moved downward in a sidelong way" - Bram Stoker
- on the side; "the plow lay sidelong on the ground"
- with the side toward someone or something; "seated sidelong to the window"- Nathaniel Hawthorne
- to, toward or at one side; "darting eyes looking sidelong out of a wizened face"
Synonyms: sideways obliquely