Definition of 'signal'
- any communication that encodes a message; "signals from the boat suddenly stopped"
Synonyms: signaling sign
- any incitement to action; "he awaited the signal to start"; "the victory was a signal for wild celebration"
- an electric quantity (voltage or current or field strength) whose modulation represents coded information about the source from which it comes
- communicate silently and non-verbally by signals or signs; "He signed his disapproval with a dismissive hand gesture"; "The diner signaled the waiters to bring the menu"
Synonyms: sign signalize signalise
- be a signal for or a symptom of; "These symptoms indicate a serious illness"; "Her behavior points to a severe neurosis"; "The economic indicators signal that the euro is undervalued"
Synonyms: bespeak betoken indicate point
- notably out of the ordinary; "the year saw one signal triumph for the Labour party"