Definition of 'sign'
You searched for signs
- a perceptible indication of something not immediately apparent (as a visible clue that something has happened); "he showed signs of strain"; "they welcomed the signs of spring"
- a public display of a (usually written) message; "he posted signs in all the shop windows"
- any communication that encodes a message; "signals from the boat suddenly stopped"
Synonyms: signal signaling
- structure displaying a board on which advertisements can be posted; "the highway was lined with signboards"
- (astrology) one of 12 equal areas into which the zodiac is divided
Synonyms: sign of the zodiac star sign mansion house planetary house
- (medicine) any objective evidence of the presence of a disorder or disease; "there were no signs of asphyxiation"
- having an indicated pole (as the distinction between positive and negative electric charges); "he got the polarity of the battery reversed"; "charges of opposite sign"
- an event that is experienced as indicating important things to come; "he hoped it was an augury"; "it was a sign from God"
Synonyms: augury foretoken preindication
- a gesture that is part of a sign language
- a fundamental linguistic unit linking a signifier to that which is signified; "The bond between the signifier and the signified is arbitrary"--de Saussure
- a character indicating a relation between quantities; "don't forget the minus sign"
- mark with one's signature; write one's name (on); "She signed the letter and sent it off"; "Please sign here"
- approve and express assent, responsibility, or obligation; "All parties ratified the peace treaty"; "Have you signed your contract yet?"
- be engaged by a written agreement; "He signed to play the casino on Dec. 18"; "The soprano signed to sing the new opera"
- engage by written agreement; "They signed two new pitchers for the next season"
Synonyms: contract sign on sign up
- communicate silently and non-verbally by signals or signs; "He signed his disapproval with a dismissive hand gesture"; "The diner signaled the waiters to bring the menu"
Synonyms: signal signalize signalise
- place signs, as along a road; "sign an intersection"; "This road has been signed"
- communicate in sign language; "I don't know how to sign, so I could not communicate with my deaf cousin"
- make the sign of the cross over someone in order to call on God for protection; consecrate
- used of the language of the deaf
Synonyms: gestural signed sign-language