Definition of 'silence'
You searched for silencing
- the state of being silent (as when no one is speaking); "there was a shocked silence"; "he gestured for silence"
- the absence of sound; "he needed silence in order to sleep"; "the street was quiet"
- a refusal to speak when expected; "his silence about my contribution was surprising"
- the trait of keeping things secret
Synonyms: secrecy secretiveness
- cause to be quiet or not talk; "Please silence the children in the church!"
Synonyms: hush quieten still shut up hush up
- keep from expression, for example by threats or pressure; "All dissenters were silenced when the dictator assumed power"