Definition of 'silent'
- marked by absence of sound; "a silent house"; "soundless footsteps on the grass"; "the night was still"
Synonyms: soundless still
- failing to speak or communicate etc when expected to; "the witness remained silent"
- indicated by necessary connotation though not expressed directly; "gave silent consent"; "a tacit agreement"; "the understood provisos of a custody agreement"
Synonyms: implied tacit understood
- not made to sound; "the silent `h' at the beginning of `honor'"; "in French certain letters are often unsounded"
- having a frequency below or above the range of human audibility; "a silent dog whistle"
- unable to speak because of hereditary deafness
Synonyms: dumb mute