Definition of 'sleep'
- a natural and periodic state of rest during which consciousness of the world is suspended; "he didn't get enough sleep last night"; "calm as a child in dreamless slumber"
- a torpid state resembling deep sleep
- a period of time spent sleeping; "he felt better after a little sleep"; "there wasn't time for a nap"
- euphemisms for death (based on an analogy between lying in a bed and in a tomb); "she was laid to rest beside her husband"; "they had to put their family pet to sleep"
Synonyms: rest eternal rest eternal sleep quietus
- be asleep
Synonyms: kip slumber log Z's catch some Z's
- be able to accommodate for sleeping; "This tent sleeps six people"