Definition of 'slip'
You searched for slips
- a socially awkward or tactless act
Synonyms: faux pas gaffe solecism gaucherie
- a minor inadvertent mistake usually observed in speech or writing or in small accidents or memory lapses etc.
Synonyms: slip-up miscue parapraxis
- potter's clay that is thinned and used for coating or decorating ceramics
- a part (sometimes a root or leaf or bud) removed from a plant to propagate a new plant through rooting or grafting
- a young and slender person; "he's a mere slip of a lad"
- a place where a craft can be made fast
Synonyms: mooring moorage berth
- an accidental misstep threatening (or causing) a fall; "he blamed his slip on the ice"; "the jolt caused many slips and a few spills"
- a slippery smoothness; "he could feel the slickness of the tiller"
Synonyms: slickness slick slipperiness
- artifact consisting of a narrow flat piece of material
- a small sheet of paper; "a receipt slip"
Synonyms: slip of paper
- a woman's sleeveless undergarment
Synonyms: chemise shimmy shift teddy
- bed linen consisting of a cover for a pillow; "the burglar carried his loot in a pillowcase"
Synonyms: case pillowcase pillow slip
- an unexpected slide
Synonyms: skid sideslip
- a flight maneuver; aircraft slides sideways in the air
- the act of avoiding capture (especially by cunning)
Synonyms: elusion eluding
- move stealthily; "The ship slipped away in the darkness"
- insert inconspicuously or quickly or quietly; "He slipped some money into the waiter's hand"
- move obliquely or sideways, usually in an uncontrolled manner; "the wheels skidded against the sidewalk"
Synonyms: skid slue slew slide
- get worse; "My grades are slipping"
Synonyms: drop off drop away fall away
- move smoothly and easily
- to make a mistake or be incorrect
Synonyms: err mistake
- pass on stealthily; "He slipped me the key when nobody was looking"
- pass out of one's memory
Synonyms: slip one's mind
- move out of position; "dislocate joints"; "the artificial hip joint luxated and had to be put back surgically"
Synonyms: dislocate luxate splay