Definition of 'slow'
You searched for slows
- lose velocity; move more slowly; "The car decelerated"
Synonyms: decelerate slow down slow up retard
Antonyms: accelerate speed up speed quicken
- become slow or slower; "Production slowed"
Synonyms: slow down slow up slack slacken
- cause to proceed more slowly; "The illness slowed him down"
Synonyms: slow down slow up
- not moving quickly; taking a comparatively long time; "a slow walker"; "the slow lane of traffic"; "her steps were slow"; "he was slow in reacting to the news"; "slow but steady growth"
- at a slow tempo; "the band played a slow waltz"
- slow to learn or understand; lacking intellectual acuity; "so dense he never understands anything I say to him"; "never met anyone quite so dim"; "although dull at classical learning, at mathematics he was uncommonly quick"- Thackeray; "dumb officials make some really dumb decisions"; "he was either normally stupid or being deliberately obtuse"; "worked with the slow students"
Synonyms: dense dim dull dumb obtuse
- (used of timepieces) indicating a time earlier than the correct time; "the clock is slow"
- so lacking in interest as to cause mental weariness; "a boring evening with uninteresting people"; "the deadening effect of some routine tasks"; "a dull play"; "his competent but dull performance"; "a ho-hum speaker who couldn't capture their attention"; "what an irksome task the writing of long letters is"- Edmund Burke; "tedious days on the train"; "the tiresome chirping of a cricket"- Mark Twain; "other people's dreams are dreadfully wearisome"
Synonyms: boring deadening dull ho-hum irksome tedious tiresome wearisome
- (of business) not active or brisk; "business is dull (or slow)"; "a sluggish market"
Synonyms: dull sluggish
- without speed (`slow' is sometimes used informally for `slowly'); "he spoke slowly"; "go easy here--the road is slippery"; "glaciers move tardily"; "please go slow so I can see the sights"
Synonyms: slowly easy tardily
Antonyms: quickly rapidly speedily chop-chop apace
- of timepieces; "the clock is almost an hour slow"; "my watch is running behind"