Definition of 'smooth'
You searched for smooths
- the act of smoothing; "he gave his hair a quick smooth"
- make smooth or smoother, as if by rubbing; "smooth the surface of the wood"
- make (a surface) shine; "shine the silver, please"; "polish my shoes"
Synonyms: polish smoothen shine
- free from obstructions; "smooth the way towards peace negotiations"
Synonyms: smooth out
- having a surface free from roughness or bumps or ridges or irregularities; "smooth skin"; "a smooth tabletop"; "smooth fabric"; "a smooth road"; "water as smooth as a mirror"
Antonyms: rough unsmooth
- smoothly agreeable and courteous with a degree of sophistication; "he was too politic to quarrel with so important a personage"; "the hostess averted a confrontation between two guests with a diplomatic change of subject"; "the manager pacified the customer with a smooth apology for the error"; "affable, suave, moderate men...smugly convinced of their respectability" - Ezra Pound
Synonyms: politic suave bland
- of the margin of a leaf shape; not broken up into teeth
- smooth and unconstrained in movement; "a long, smooth stride"; "the fluid motion of a cat"; "the liquid grace of a ballerina"
Synonyms: fluent fluid liquid
- (music) without breaks between notes; smooth and connected; "a legato passage"
Antonyms: staccato disconnected
- of motion that runs or flows or proceeds without jolts or turbulence; "a smooth ride"
Antonyms: rough rocky bumpy jolty jolting jumpy
- lacking obstructions or difficulties; "the bill's path through the legislature was smooth and orderly"
- (of a body of water) free from disturbance by heavy waves; "a ribbon of sand between the angry sea and the placid bay"; "the quiet waters of a lagoon"; "a lake of tranquil blue water reflecting a tranquil blue sky"; "a smooth channel crossing"; "scarcely a ripple on the still water"; "unruffled water"
Synonyms: placid quiet still tranquil unruffled