Definition of 'smother'
You searched for smothers
- a confused multitude of things
Synonyms: clutter jumble muddle fuddle mare's nest welter
- a stifling cloud of smoke
- envelop completely; "smother the meat in gravy"
- deprive of oxygen and prevent from breathing; "Othello smothered Desdemona with a pillow"; "The child suffocated herself with a plastic bag that the parents had left on the floor"
Synonyms: asphyxiate suffocate
- conceal or hide; "smother a yawn"; "muffle one's anger"; "strangle a yawn"
Synonyms: stifle strangle muffle repress
- form an impenetrable cover over; "the butter cream smothered the cake"
- deprive of the oxygen necessary for combustion; "smother fires"
Synonyms: put out