Definition of 'soil'
- the state of being covered with unclean things
Synonyms: dirt filth grime stain grease grunge
- the part of the earth's surface consisting of humus and disintegrated rock
- material in the top layer of the surface of the earth in which plants can grow (especially with reference to its quality or use); "the land had never been plowed"; "good agricultural soil"
Synonyms: land ground
- the geographical area under the jurisdiction of a sovereign state; "American troops were stationed on Japanese soil"
- make soiled, filthy, or dirty; "don't soil your clothes when you play outside!"
Synonyms: dirty begrime grime colly bemire
Antonyms: clean make clean