Definition of 'solitary'
- confinement of a prisoner in isolation from other prisoners; "he was held in solitary"
Synonyms: solitary confinement
- one who lives in solitude
Synonyms: hermit recluse solitudinarian troglodyte
- characterized by or preferring solitude; "a lone wolf"; "a lonely existence"; "a man of a solitary disposition"; " a solitary walk"
Synonyms: lone lonely
- of plants and animals; not growing or living in groups or colonies; "solitary bees"
Synonyms: nongregarious nonsocial
- lacking companions or companionship; "he was alone when we met him"; "she is alone much of the time"; "the lone skier on the mountain"; "a lonely fisherman stood on a tuft of gravel"; "a lonely soul"; "a solitary traveler"
Synonyms: alone lone lonely
- being the only one; single and isolated from others; "the lone doctor in the entire county"; "a lonesome pine"; "an only child"; "the sole heir"; "the sole example"; "a solitary instance of cowardice"; "a solitary speck in the sky"
Synonyms: lone lonesome only sole
- remote or secluded; "a lonely crossroads"; "a solitary retreat"; "a trail leading to an unfrequented lake"
Synonyms: lonely unfrequented