Definition of 'sop'
- piece of solid food for dipping in a liquid
- a concession given to mollify or placate; "the offer was a sop to my feelings"
- a prescribed procedure to be followed routinely; "rote memorization has been the educator's standard operating procedure for centuries"
Synonyms: standing operating procedure standard operating procedure standard procedure
- give a conciliatory gift or bribe to
- be or become thoroughly soaked or saturated with a liquid
Synonyms: soak through
- dip into liquid; "sop bread into the sauce"
- cover with liquid; pour liquid onto; "souse water on his hot face"
Synonyms: drench douse dowse soak souse